Repair with your hands today has become a very popular activity. However, one desire to change the interior in an apartment is not enough. It must be supported by knowledge of the main theoretical aspects of this rather complex event. Usually, repairs begin with a bathroom and a toilet. Knowing how to put the tile on the wall correctly, you can fundamentally change the usual appearance of the bathroom. Proper execution of all the rules for laying the tile material will save time and reduce the costs of attracting specialist firms.
How to choose the right tile?
Tile is the most common material among its counterparts. The reason for this popularity lies in the availability and relatively low cost. Before you learn how to lay a tile, you need to pick it correctly.
First of all, pay attention to the packaging. A special sign in the form of a foot or a hand will indicate which category of tile the product refers to - floor or wall. Wear-resistant construction material on the packaging is marked with
In the building store you will definitely see that the tile is divided into several groups:
- first class tiles - intended especially for bathrooms;
- second class - used in cottages and country houses;
- third class products - designed for the floor of living quarters.
When choosing a tile, special attention should be given to the color scheme. Remember that light tones visually increase space, dark ones - vice versa. On the matte surface, dirt is less visible than glossy.
The tile has several basic characteristics that define its function:
- ease of care;
- protection from moisture and contaminants;
- wide assortment;
- large selection of decorative elements.
Advantages and disadvantages of tile
The main advantage of tile is its durability and strength. Thanks to a special production technology, it is very difficult to break it. The tile is made of pressed materials, followed by firing and glazing, which provides the product with waterproofness and strength.
Modern dyeing technologies can also be attributed to the merits of this building material. It is not painted on the surface, but in mass. That is, scratched tile, you can not worry - it will not be very noticeable.
Tiles are available in a wide range - everyone can choose the color and design to your liking. Especially popular today are surfaces that mimic the skin, glass, etc.
But, unfortunately, the tile has its drawbacks:
- Fragility of the glaze. During a fall, it can easily split off or crack.
- Because of its high strength, the tile is difficult to cut.
- When the water evaporates or the water gets into the glaze, it becomes slippery.
Preparing for laying
Before answering the question about how to lay a tile on a wall, we will highlight one more important nuance. It's about preparing for the process. To do this, you need to measure the repaired premises, namely the surface where the tile will be located. Next, you need to draw a schematic wall with all the notches and apertures, taking into account the dimensions taken. Do not forget about rosettes and other elements where there will be no tiles. We calculate the necessary amount of building material.
Tools for running
Before we get to the bottom of the question "how to put the tile on the wall," you need to prepare everything you need for finishing work. First you need to buy a binder. They can be both a cement mixture and special glue. In addition, grout, primer, guides, screws, trim tabs and plastic crossings are required. The latter are necessary to comply with the size of the seam. Guides or special profiles will help lay out the bottom row of the tile horizontally and smoothly, trims are needed to create the right angle.
You will also need a special set of tools:
- drill with drills and various nozzles;
- tile cutter( if there is no special, you can use a Bulgarian or a glass cutter);
- several types of spatulas;
- containers for preparation of glue;
- the level.
wall preparation process Any build builder acknowledges that the surface must be prepared before laying the tile on the wall. After all, the correct preparatory work provides a long service life, an attractive appearance and a strong fixing of the material.
Before laying the tile, the walls are plastered, parallelizing the surfaces. Further, the walls are treated with a primer, which increases the adhesive effect of the finishing materials.
In some cases, tiles can be laid on top of old concrete pavements, masonry, moisture-resistant plasterboard.
Laying tiles on top of old tiles is not recommended. To securely fasten the lining on the previous work surface, you need to use interlayers that increase the adhesion of materials, and a particularly strong adhesive.
Basic stages of laying
How to start laying a tile? The process is as follows:
1. First, prepare the necessary amount of ground mixture, then apply it to the walls. The primer for the walls of the bathroom and toilet must have water-repellent properties and have an antiseptic in its composition.
2. A small amount of tiles for the initial rows cut through.
3. On the surface with the help of a level determine the main points of the horizontal of the bottom area to be trimmed. Usually they put four points in the corners and four on the perimeter.
4. Next, you can proceed with the installation of guides, or profiles. First they are mounted on the wall opposite the entrance, then on the marks are set bars, which will guide the lower row of tiles.
If you spread the tile on the wall, and there is already a covering on the floor, then it is not necessary to fix the profile for the lower row. It can be supported on the floor.
Determination of horizontal rows of tiles
In case you have an even floor, it is not difficult to determine the bottom row of tiles. However, this does not always happen. Immediately the question arises: "Where do you start to put the tile?"The fact is that often builders-finishers have to build on the second, and even from the third row. This is related to this:
- along the walls there are communications that need to be bypassed;
- only the walls are lined, and the floor remains untouched, besides it has an uneven surface;
- the planning of horizontal rows depends entirely on the number of vertical tiles. It happens that the level of the original reference row should be lowered or raised to accommodate the whole tile. It is necessary to move from top to bottom, transferring the marks to the next row.
Definition of vertical rows of tiles
Each builder-finisher independently decides how to lay a tile in the bathroom. Someone approaches this process creatively, some have their own scheme of work. The main problem with laying out tiles is the top rows, which have to be cut. And this is not always beautiful. There are several tricks that will help to avoid these troubles:
- you can move all the rows and cut only the tiles in the corner, so they look symmetrical;
- reduce the size of the tiles in the place where it will be noticeably the least.
How to lay a tile? Step-by-step instruction
You need to start laying the tile from the corner of the wall opposite the entrance. Then everything should be done according to the plan:
- Cover the back of the tile with glue or a special agent.
- With a spatula, smooth the adhesive layer so that there are no voids.
- The tile should be fixed in the corner and taped with a rubber mallet.
- Adhesive, which was made on the wall after pressing, must be quickly removed.
- Similarly, spread the tiles to the opposite corner.
- After fastening 3-4 rows, it is necessary to wait a little, so that the glue gets better.
- To make the joints between the tiles as level as possible, plastic crosses are installed. It is important to remove the crossings before the solution solidifies.
- After laying it is necessary to check the vertical and horizontal tiles. This can be done with the help of level and plumb bobs, sometimes a regular block is applied to the surface of the facing pieces, and all the flaws become visible.
- In the end, the seams need to be filled with hermetic means, after which it is necessary to apply the grout.
To builders of the note: before the glue hardens, you can correct the position of the tiles and seams. Therefore, after laying the tile you need to carefully check the entire surface for defects and defects.
This manual is also an answer to the question of how to put a tile on the wall in the kitchen. The principle is the same everywhere.
If you plan to lay tiles on plasterboard surfaces, then keep in mind that you can do this only after processing the walls with waterproofing. Before you put the tiles on the plasterboard, you need to pay special attention to the trimmed edges. They also need to be treated with a waterproofing compound. You can lay tiles with a special tile glue using the same technology as in the bathroom.
Cost of tiles
The modern market for building and finishing materials is huge. On the shelves of shops you can see various variations of tile. In addition to individual color scale, texture and size, tiles vary in price. The most advantageous option is the purchase of finishing materials of domestic or Belarusian production. The absence of customs duties and transport costs significantly affects the price. Russian tiles can be purchased for 130 rubles / m2.Some domestic manufacturers produce facing materials on the territory of our country, but by foreign technology. Here the price is slightly higher - 350 rubles / m2, but the model range is much broader. Factories and factories of the near abroad occupy an honorable third place at the cost of tile. Ukrainian tile collections are presented in the price range of 400-700 rubles per sq.m. They are not lagging behind the Polish, Lithuanian and Czech producers. The price for 1 sq.m.tiles from Europeans vary from 600 to 1000 rubles. Of course, the leaders in the quality of construction materials are Germany and Italy. The products of German and Portuguese factories can be bought for 1100 rubles per 1 m2.
Collections of tile manufacturers
The variety of shapes, sizes and texture of tiles is amazing. Such a large number of options for finishing the walls and floor allows you to realize even the most secret desires and projects. It is best to spread the tiles on the wall and floor, using materials from the collection of one manufacturer. Such a tile will be in harmony with each other, and you will not notice any striking contrasts.
Modern color solutions for finishing materials allow you to combine a variety of shades, for example, pink and blue, white and turquoise, etc. In addition, there are hundreds of options for the technique of laying tiles. Someone makes colored inserts or curbs, others study technology, how to put tiles-mosaic, etc. In general, there are a lot of ideas for changing the interior, so trust your fantasy flight, naturally, relying on physical and financial possibilities.
Caring for a tile
Tile is a rather unpretentious material, however, it needs proper and constant care. Otherwise, the limescale will spoil the tiles in the kitchen( it needs to be laid in the same way as in the bathroom), and in the bathroom. To bring such a state to tile does not follow, it is better to look after the surfaces constantly.
Suitable means for cleaning the surfaces laid out by such products can be found in any hardware store. It is better to use a creamy or liquid composition. Powder means often scratch the surface of the tile.
To cope with rust and lime deposits, you can use chlorine-containing drugs. Among other things, chlorine disinfects the surface to be treated.
When you need to wash the tile, and there is no opportunity to go to the store, try cleaning the tile with a window cleaner. Ammonia alcohol, which is included in its composition, will perfectly clean the dirt and give the surface a shine.
This article will teach you how to properly lay tiles and take care of the tiled surface. Compliance with simple installation rules will help to change the interior of the bathroom, toilet or kitchen even for a beginner.