A compote from rhubarb was cooked in ancient times. This healing and vitaminized drink was invented by Chinese masters of cooking. It quenches thirst, improves digestion and increases appetite. We will talk about the ways of preparing a wonderful drink in this article.
A bit of history
Rhubarb( an "excellent yellow root") brought back to Russia, returning from another expedition, NM Przhevalsky. A well-known geographer, better known to his countrymen by horse, named after him, found a rapbar( rhubarb) in China in the late 19th century. In Russia, the vegetable is well established. It began to be harvested in such quantities that royalty mirrors were purchased for the Hermitage from the exports of rhubarb to northern Italy.
At present, rhubarb compote is gaining popularity among Russians. This is not surprising. Drink from this plant comes out fragrant, sweet and sour, vying for vitamin saturation with apple. Of great importance to thrifty hosts is that you can use rhubarb, with
Fineness of cooking
Before cooking the compote from rhubarb, you need to select for him the freshest and young stems of the plant. It is better if they are saturated red. Pale and stunted petioles can spoil the taste of the drink. In addition, the benefits of such a dish will be minimal - all medicinal substances and vitamins in such a plant, most likely, are absent. Fresh cuttings of rhubarb can be kept in the refrigerator for only two days. If you put the plant in the freezer, the shelf life will be significantly longer. It is known that rhubarb has an acidic taste. Therefore, the amount of sweetener in the beverage can be adjusted at its own discretion. In the compote of rhubarb, you can put honey instead of sugar. This will make it even sweeter.
Classic recipe for rhubarb compote
- Young and juicy petioles of a red plant( they contain more sugar) must be thoroughly rinsed, cut into neat pieces 2-3 centimeters long and leave soaked in cold water for 12 hours. During this period, the fluid needs to be changed two or three times.
- Then pieces of rhubarb should be stalled for 30-40 seconds in boiling water. If necessary, the processing time can be increased to 1-1.5 minutes.
- Now the plant needs to be quickly moved to cold water, cooled, and densely spread over pre-sterilized jars.
- After this, you should prepare the sugar syrup. It should be 30-50% concentration, that is, in one liter of water it is necessary to dissolve from 1.5 to 3 cups of sugar. In the compotes of long-term storage, you should add more sweets, so that the drink does not ferment, like wine. To prepare the syrup, the enamel pan should be filled with water, add sugar to it, bring the resulting solution to a boil and keep it on low heat for 10-15 minutes. Next, the sweet liquid should be carefully filtered and again give a boil over low heat.
- After that, the cans with the rhubarb laid in them must be poured on top with a hot sugar solution. In one half-liter can fit 300 grams of petioles and 200-250 grams of pouring.
- When preparing compote from rhubarb for the winter, it should be remembered that the plant can not be boiled for long. Under the influence of heat treatment in the petioles, oxalic acid begins to form. This substance can harm the human body. In addition, the rhubarb is instantly boiled, which makes the drink from it much less attractive and pleasant to the taste.
- Then filled to the brim of the jar should be placed in a pot of warm water, cover them with lids and put on a plate for sterilization. Half-liter containers at a temperature of 100 degrees should be processed 15 minutes, liter - 20-25 minutes.
- Then sterilized cans with compote must be sealed, turned downside down, wrapped and cooled.
Now you know how to prepare compote from rhubarb for the winter. Your family will appreciate the aroma and taste of this wonderful drink.
Recipe for compote of rhubarb and raisins. Ingredients
You do not need any special frills in order to cook compote of rhubarb. Recipe for the preparation of the drink involves the use of the following products:
- rhubarb stems - 500 grams;
- sugar - 5-6 tablespoons;
- raisins - 1/2 cup;
- peel halves of a lemon;
- water - 1,5-2 liters.
Method of making compote of rhubarb and raisins
- To begin with, it is necessary to cut off the rhubarb leaves from the stems, leaving only thick, lower petioles of pink color. They should be removed from the upper peel.
- Then it is necessary to cut the petioles into segments 2-3 cm long.
- After that, in the boiling water it is necessary to pour in the sugar and cook the resulting solution on a small fire for about five minutes.
- Now in the sugar syrup should be placed raisins and pieces of rhubarb and boil the drink for about 7 minutes.
- Then compote of rhubarb should be removed from the fire, add in it a peel of lemon, chopped straw.
- Then the dishes with the drink should be covered with a lid and left until completely cooled.
- If necessary, rhubarb stew can be filtered. It is served to the table as a refreshing drink in large glasses with slices of ice. It turns out very tasty. Compote of apples and rhubarb. Ingredients
Together with apples, you can cook a wonderful compote of rhubarb. The recipe for this drink contains the following ingredients:
- rhubarb - 400 grams;
- apple - 1 piece;
- sugar - 3-4 tablespoons;
- fresh mint - 1 sprig;
- cinnamon - 1 stick. Compote from rhubarb and apples. Method of preparation
- First, in a voluminous saucepan, pour 2.5-3 liters of water and bring it to a boil.
- After this, the rhubarb stems should be washed, brushed and cut into pieces 3-4 cm long.
- Then you need to wash one sour apple and cut it into medium-sized slices. In this case, the seed box and the pedicel should be removed.
- Now cinnamon should be placed in a container of boiling water and cook for five minutes.
- Next, in the same pan, add rhubarb, apples, sugar and a sprig of fresh mint.
- Then, when the liquid in the dishes again boils, from the compote you need to remove the stick of cinnamon and discard.
- After that, the pot with the drink should be removed from the plate and covered with a lid. The compote in it should be infused within 8-10 hours.
Then drink can be filtered and served to the table.
In this article, several ways of how you can prepare compote from rhubarb have been described. The classic recipe can be varied by adding not only apples to the drink, but also strawberries, red currants, lemon, orange, fresh mint and even karkade( Sudanese rose).Feel free to experiment. Bon Appetit!