Indomethacin is an anti-inflammatory drug. Today, indomethacin tablets, suppositories, ointments, gels, eye drops and injections are manufactured.
The indomethacin guideline indicates that this drug is one of the most active non-steroids. It has an anti-inflammatory and analgesic effect, and also delays the production of active biological substances that are responsible for the development of pain and edema in the inflammatory process.
Also, this drug suppresses the aggregation of blood clots, increases the volume of movements and reduces the morning stiffness. The anti-inflammatory effect is observed already towards the end of the first week of Indomethacin application.
Thanks to its above-mentioned actions, Indomethacin is widely used in gynecology.
Indications for use
Indomethacin is prescribed according to the instructions in the following situations:
- Systemic application: articular syndrome( osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, ankylosing spondylitis), neuralgia, back pain, traumatic inflammation of the joints and soft tissues, myalgia, rheumatism, diffuse diseasesconnective tissue, infectious and inflammatory diseases of the ENT organs, prostatitis.
- External application: traumatic inflammations of soft tissues and joints, myalgia, neuralgia, pain in the spine, articular syndrome( gout, ankylosing spondylitis, osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis).
- Topical application: inhibition of miosis at the time of surgery, prevention of inflammation during surgery in the anterior segment of the eye and cataract.
As for Indomethacin in gynecology, it is used in the complex treatment of adnexitis, painful menstruation and cystitis.
Indomethacin tablets, suppositories, injections, ointments and eye drops should not be used when:
- peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum;
- gastrointestinal bleeding;
- hypertension( high blood pressure);
- disorders of hepatic and renal function;
- bone fractures;
- Mental Disorders;
- hypersensitivity to the drug components.
In addition, candles Indomethacin can not be used for proctitis and hemorrhoids. Women during pregnancy and lactation( breastfeeding), as well as children under 10 years of age, this drug is also contraindicated.
How to use
Indomethacin in tablets is recommended to be taken with food when squeezed with milk. Begin therapy with taking one tablet two or three times a day. If necessary, the dose of the drug can be increased to four tablets per day.
Indomethacin candles are used rectally - one suppository is put into the rectum at night. There are times when candles are taken twice a day - in the morning and at night. Medspecialists say that the most effective combination treatment is one or two tablets per day and one candle at night.
Solution for intramuscular injection is intended exclusively for adults - 60 milligrams once or twice a day.
Indomethacin in the form of a gel or ointment is applied to a painful area( a strip three to four centimeters long) two to three times a day.
Eye drops are intended only for the adult patient category - one drop three to four times a day.
Indomethacin in gynecology is prescribed individually( it all depends on the cause of the disease, severity of the disease, etc.).
Side effects of indomethacin
According to the instructions, indomethacin can provoke some side effects:
- From the peripheral and central nervous system - headache, dizziness, fatigue, depression, drowsiness, fainting, peripheral neuropathy, involuntary muscular movements, muscle weakness, mental disorders, sleep disorders, dysarthria, paresthesia, parkinsonism.
- On the part of the gastrointestinal tract - anorexia, nausea, vomiting, discomfort and pain in the abdomen, diarrhea or constipation, perforation and bleeding GIT, erosive and ulcerative diseases, intestinal strictures, gastritis, stomatitis, flatulence, hepatitis, jaundice.
- From the cardiovascular system - increased blood pressure, swelling, tachycardia, arrhythmia, chest pain, arterial hypotension, palpitation, hematuria, congestive heart failure.
- On the part of the urinary system - nephrotic syndrome, proteinuria, impaired renal function, interstitial nephritis, renal failure.
- From the sense organs - diplopia, visual impairment, periorbital and orbital pain, deafness.
- From the hematopoietic system - petechiae, leukopenia, purpura, hemolytic and aplastic anemia, DIC syndrome, thrombocytopenia.
- From the side of metabolism - hyperkalemia, glucosuria, hyperglycemia.
- Allergic reactions - urticaria, pruritus, erythema nodosum, angiitis, skin rash, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, exfoliative dermatitis, erythema multiforme, hair loss, sharp drop in arterial pressure, acute respiratory distress, angioedema, anaphylactic reactions, bronchial asthma, dyspnoea,pulmonary edema.
- Other - hot flashes, vaginal bleeding, increased sweating, gynecomastia, tension or enlargement of mammary glands, epistaxis.