The sensations and well-being of a woman after an abortion depend on which method is used to terminate the pregnancy. An abortion is an artificial procedure for aborting a pregnancy by surgical intervention or taking medication, which is performed under clinical supervision under the supervision of medical personnel. Weakness, poor health, nausea, abdominal pain after an abortion can be observed for several days. Let's see what symptoms are the norm after abortion, and which should alert the woman?
Depending on the period of pregnancy, several procedures for abortion are divided:
- , the procedure for "mini-abortion" or "regulation of the menstrual cycle" is performed with a gestation period of up to five weeks;
- procedure for the widening of the cervical canal and scraping from the fetal uterus is performed at a gestation period of five to thirteen weeks;The
- procedure for drug induced abortion is performed at the gestational age from the thirteenth to the twenty-first week.
If the pregnancy is over twenty-two weeks, the doctors refuse to interrupt pregnancy.
All of the above abortion procedures accompany pain in the abdomen after an abortion. This is primarily due to the reduction of the uterus to its normal size. The lower abdomen aches after abortion and because of surgical intervention in the body of a woman. The procedure for surgical intervention is very painful, therefore it is usually performed under the influence of anesthesia.
The mini-abortion procedure is performed using a syringe with a long plastic tube that is inserted into the uterus. From the syringe, with the help of a special mechanism, air is rapidly pumped out and the microscopic embryo, together with the uterine mucosa, is absorbed into the syringe. This procedure can be performed by a doctor several times to improve the efficiency of cleaning. Mini-abortion is the easiest form of abortion, after which a woman can be discharged from the hospital in three, four hours. More painfully and with a greater risk of complications is the process of scraping, with the removal of the upper layer of the mucous uterus. After the surgical abortion is completed, the abdominal pain is insignificant, reception of anesthetics is possible. Painful sensations of aching and pulling, basically are similar to usual pains which can arise during monthly. The uterus has a large number of sensitive nerve endings, its contraction to normal size and causes the appearance of these painful sensations. Usually after a few days, abdominal pain stops after abortion. Slight spotting for several days is normal.
Unlike the surgical method, with medical abortion, fetal rejection( miscarriage) occurs under the influence of medicines. Pain in the abdomen after abortion by a medicamentous method, is caused by rejection of the fetus. If a medical abortion is performed, the abdomen hurts in the form of rather intensive fights, accompanied by heavy bleeding. Pain in the abdomen after abortion is calmed down after the fetal is removed. Many women prefer the medical method of abortion, considering it safer and less painful. However, it is with the medical method of abortion that the risk of pregnancy retention and the risk of incomplete rejection of the fetus is increased, which will require surgical intervention. The choice of medicines for medical abortion is determined by the attending physician, under supervision of which the entire procedure is performed. Drug administration is usually carried out in two stages. At the first stage there is a process of stopping the development of the fetus. After two or three days, the drug is taken again, which leads to the beginning of the contraction of the uterine walls and the rejection of the deceased embryo. After a while after taking medications, the woman has abundant bloody discharge.
Abdominal pain hurts after abortion, what should I do?
So, if for a few days after abortion, the stomach hurts, for a female body this is a normal, natural process. This may be due to surgery, tissue and uterine wall damage, due to the process of returning the uterus to normal size.
Symptoms that should alert:
- Increased body temperature, fever.
- Strong, incessant pain in the abdomen.
- Vaginal discharge with a strong odor.
- Continuous spotting with large blood clots.
- Symptoms of pregnancy( nausea, engorgement of the mammary glands).
The risk of complications after abortion is minimal if the procedure is performed in the hospital by a good specialist.
What complications can there be?
- Infection. The wounded surface in the uterus after abortion is an ideal medium for microbes. Therefore, the most common complication is infection of the uterus. Endometritis develops first acute, then chronic. Symptoms of it can be: pain in the abdomen after an abortion, temperature, discharge. The most "harmless" manifestations - periodic or persistent pain in the abdomen after abortion, in the back, violations of the cycle of menstruation.
- Early cervical spasm, poor contraction can lead to the accumulation of blood in the uterus, cause inflammation. Therefore, a dangerous symptom is the absence or, conversely, an abundance of blood secretions.
- Residual fetal tissue. Symptoms are pain in the abdomen, back, severe bleeding, painful uterus.
If you notice any dangerous symptoms, contact your doctor immediately!
Artificial interruption of unwanted or unplanned pregnancy is a very serious and very difficult step in a woman's life. Before making such a decision, a woman should carefully weigh the pros and cons, consulting with a partner and close people, to consult a doctor. It should be remembered that we are talking about the birth and health of a new life and the health of the mother.