Some parents pay attention to the color of their child's language. And this, of course, is correct, since many diseases and conditions are reflected on it. First of all, when a child's condition changes, the color of his or her tongue changes, often a plaque appears on it. The language can become white, red or yellow, depending on the cause that caused the change. Let us consider the reasons for the appearance of the white language in the child most often.
When is the norm in white language on children's tongue?
The white color of the tongue gives a touch on its surface. Not always such a plaque is a sign of developing pathology. In most cases, it is quite a natural state.
So, in the morning quite often there is a white raid on the language of the child, which is associated with a decreased activity of the salivary glands at night. As a result, the products of the life of the bacteria in the mouth form a small white coating, which gradually disappears by the end of the day. True, closer to the r
Also the norm is a thin layer of white coating on the tongue of the baby, through which a clear pink mucous membrane appears. Moreover, the language retains its natural mobility and flexibility.
Infants who are breastfed or are breastfed will also have a small white coating on the tongue. It is formed with frequent use of breast milk or infant formula.
Why does the child have a white tongue?
Often the white color of the tongue in children indicates the development of the disease. It is important to correctly establish its cause and prescribe adequate treatment, which only a doctor can do. So, why does the child have a white tongue?
One of the reasons for the appearance of a white coating on the tongue is inflammation in the oral cavity. As a rule, it is caused by such diseases:
- Stomatitis. It is characterized by a plaque of different consistency with white grains or dots. When you try to clean it, the tongue will bleed. Also white coating is found on the inner surface of the lips, cheeks, on the gums. Over time, painful sores appear on the surface of the tongue, as in the entire oral cavity. The child becomes capricious, does not sleep well, refuses food.
- Thrush( candidiasis).With the thrush, reddening of the mucous membranes of the mouth and tongue, their excessive dryness, the appearance on them of the film, resembling cottage cheese. Attempts to eliminate such a plaque lead to bleeding. With the development of thrush in the mouth, the child feels itching and burning.
- Caries. This disease of the teeth leads to the appearance of a foci of infection in the oral cavity. As a result, there is an intensive multiplication of pathogenic bacteria, whose product of vital activity is white plaque.
Treatment of white tongue in a child in the above cases should be done by a doctor. First of all, the doctor prescribes therapy for the underlying disease. If necessary, the baby is prescribed antifungal or antiseptic drugs. Widely used local treatment in the form of rinses, mouth irrigation with antimicrobial and wound-healing agents.
If the child has a slippery white coating on the tongue and the tongue becomes thicker, one can assume the presence of digestive system diseases. Most often, children have the following pathologies of the digestive tract:
- Gastritis. In this disease, usually white coating is located in the center of the tongue, has small grooves and cracks along the edges. Symptoms of gastritis include nausea, worsening appetite, frequent pain in the epigastric region, lethargy and weakness.
- Enterocolitis, or inflammation of the small and large intestine. At enterocolitis a thick layer of white plaque is located closer to the root of the tongue. This disease is characterized by pain and bloating, frequent constipation and diarrhea, mucus or blood can be found in the feces. In severe enterocolitis, the child's body temperature may rise.
- Dysbacteriosis. Especially often this pathology develops in children of the first year of life. At a dysbacteriosis a dense white scurf covers all surface of tongue of the kid. In addition, the child's appetite disappears, he does not gain weight, often there is diarrhea, sometimes a skin rash appears all over the body.
To diagnose diseases of the digestive tract, the doctor will prescribe the child blood tests and feces. In the case of diseases of the digestive system, a special treatment of white language in the child is not carried out. White coating will disappear on its own after the normalization of the baby's condition.
Diseases of the respiratory system are also often the cause of the formation of a white coating on the tongue. Often this phenomenon indicates a viral infection in the upper respiratory tract. In addition, the location of the white plaque on the front of the tongue is related to the signs of bronchitis. If the plaque acquires a foamy consistency, you can suspect the chronic form of the disease. With asthma, the plaque on the tip of the tongue often becomes viscous.
White plaque in the language of the child is one of the signs of diphtheria( an infectious bacterial disease).In addition to infection, the infection affects the pharynx, throat and nose. Plaque in this case has a grayish shade. This is quite a serious illness, which requires timely treatment under the supervision of a doctor.
It is worth mentioning such a reason for the appearance of a white tongue in a child, like dehydration of the body. In this case, the nipples of the tongue of the baby are enlarged. The signs of this condition include dry lips and mucous membranes, a lack of urine for 5 hours or more, a dark color and an unpleasant smell of urine. Also, the child suffers from dizziness, general weakness and lethargy. Dehydration is a very dangerous condition, so when these symptoms appear, you should immediately call a doctor.