Poor appetite in a child causes anxiety in many parents. Most of them perceive such a state as the onset of the development of the disease. However, this is not always true. There are many factors that affect the baby's appetite and not all of them are associated with pathologies. Consider why the child does not have an appetite, which may be related to it.
Poor appetite in a child of the first year of life
Children of the first year of life can refuse food for various reasons. Most of them are eliminated on their own or after the help of their parents. Causes of poor appetite in a child of infant age are the following conditions:
- Abdominal pain that occurs at the beginning of breast sucking or nipples. Often, the baby at the beginning of sucking sharply activated peristalsis of the intestine, which leads to the appearance of pain in the stomach, which can reduce the desire to eat. This phenomenon is especially typical for those children who suffer from constipation and increased gas production.
- Difficulty with sucking milk from the breast or nipples. Sometimes, if it is difficult for a baby to suck a tight chest or milk from a bottle due to a small hole, he may refuse to eat.
- Pain in the mouth or throat, because of which the child refuses to eat. With some diseases, the baby is difficult to suck or swallow food. Especially often it happens with thrush, stomatitis, tonsillitis, during teething.
- Nasal breathing disorders. Often in newborns 1-3 months of life there is a physiological runny nose, which is associated with the imperfection of its respiratory system and its adaptation to new conditions of life. In this case, the baby's nose is permanently embedded, which creates difficulties when sucking.
- The kid does not like food. Often, children refuse a new type of food, for example, when changing to another infant formula. Also, the reason that a child does not want to eat, can be too hot or too cold food.
Physiological causes of poor appetite
Sometimes parents notice that the child has lost his appetite, but at the same time he looks quite healthy, leads an active lifestyle. Perhaps the reason for this state is quite natural. The physiological causes of poor appetite in a child can be such conditions:
- Changes in the hormonal background. The child is growing and his hormonal background is constantly changing: the production of some hormones increases, while others decrease. Such fluctuations of the hormonal background affect the appetite of the baby. This phenomenon is temporary, the lost appetite will gradually appear again.
- Features of metabolism. Thanks to the individual characteristics of metabolism, all people have different appetites and eat different amounts of food. It does not matter how much the baby eats, the main thing is how he feels at the same time, whether he lags behind the normal development indicators.
- Decreased physical activity. It is known that the more active a person is, the more he consumes food. If the baby has spent more time watching TV, computer or other sedentary occupations, his food needs may decrease. Conversely, an active child who runs a lot or does sports will require more food.
The child has lost his appetite: the pathological causes of
Quite often, the reason that a child's appetite is gone is the development of certain diseases and inappropriate nutrition. In particular, the lack of appetite is noted in children with such pathologies and conditions:
- diseases of the digestive system in acute or chronic form - gastritis, pancreatitis, cholecystitis, celiac disease;
- infectious diseases with acute or chronic course, including bacterial and viral infections that occur with fever, urinary tract infection, tuberculosis;
- hereditary degenerative and diffuse chronic pathologies of the brain;
- metabolic disorders;
- respiratory diseases, which are accompanied by respiratory failure;
- endocrine disorders, for example, increased parathyroid function and Addison's disease;
- kidney failure;
- deficiency of iron or zinc in the body;
- parasitic diseases - ascarids, pinworms, worms;
- abundant use of sweets, milk or meat products;
- reception of a large number of medicines.
Psychological causes of a decrease in appetite in a child
Often the reason why a child does not have an appetite, there are psychological reasons. So, the kid can refuse to eat when he is upset or worried, for example, after a quarrel with his parents or his punishment for misconduct.
Quite often, kids lose their appetite because of problems with their peers in kindergarten or school. Some children demonstrate refusal of food only in the kindergarten, at home a good appetite comes back.
There is such a disease as anorexia nervosa, which is characterized by a complete refusal of food. In this case, any attempt to feed the child ends with an angry protest, and sometimes with vomiting. In a child, this condition is caused by mental disorders. In adolescents( especially girls), it is provoked by constant diets to reduce weight. Anorexia nervosa requires competent treatment from a specialist.
The causes of poor appetite in a child include eating disorders, frequent snacks between meals. Especially dangerous in this case, sweet and flour products, which for a long time reduce the appetite.