Many parents notice that their child has a hoarse voice and do not know what to do about it. It is often not clear what caused this condition, and how to treat it. Therefore, in this article we will give answers to these questions.
There are several reasons why a child can cry a voice:
- is a long, violent scream, most often seen in infants;
- acute respiratory viral infection or infectious diseases leading to inflammation of the larynx, for example, tracheitis, laryngitis;
- adenoid proliferations in the nasopharynx;
- malignant or benign neoplasms on the vocal cords, for example, cysts, fibromas, polyps;
- hit a foreign object in the larynx, except for the hoarseness of the voice accompanied by a strong paroxysmal cough;
- abnormal development of the outer ring of the larynx, this condition is congenital and independently passes after reaching the child of two to three years of age;
- sudden swelling of the vocal cords due to laryngeal trauma or acute allergic reaction;
- neuropsychiatric disorders, for example, due to fright or severe stress.
In addition, the reasons for which the child's voice can be hushed up are quite diverse, some of them are potentially dangerous for the health and life of the child. Therefore, it is very important not to ignore such a factor as a hoarse voice, and, as far as possible, to show the baby to the doctor faster. It is better to go to the pediatrician once again than to ignore the onset of the disease or a situation that poses a threat to the child's life.
You ask, how can the listed reasons lead to a child having a hoarse voice? And than some of them can be dangerous for the life of the baby? The fact is that the above causes cause swelling of the soft tissues of the child's larynx, which is why they increase greatly in size. And since the baby's larynx is narrow, it can lead to the blockage of the airways and, as a result, suffocation. Parents should immediately call an ambulance if they notice that the hoarseness of the child's voice is accompanied by the following conditions:
- wheezing became lower;
- enhanced salivation;
- is difficult to swallow;
- complaints about lack of air;
- blue hair or reddening of the face;
- severe shortness of breath;
- barking cough;
- general condition deterioration: dizziness, chills, fever.
Than to treat?
To answer the question, what to treat the hoarse voice of the child, it is necessary to establish precisely the cause of this phenomenon. Not always parents at home can determine why the baby has a hoarse voice: maybe because he shouted for a long time, but maybe because of a viral infection that had just begun to develop in the body, and so far has shown itself only with this symptom. Therefore, do not engage in self-medication, it is better to consult the pediatrician about this, and follow the prescribed prescriptions.
If the voice of the baby is hoarse because he has been shouting for a long time, then there is no need to use medicinal preparations, it is enough to observe the following measures:
- Little by little, but often drink the child with a warm drink: it can be tea with Kalina and raspberry, infusionmedicinal herbs, compote from dried fruits, milk with butter and honey.
- Let the baby chew honeycombs or dissolve honey, this product has antiseptic effect, but do not abuse this remedy, as it can provoke the development of an allergic reaction.
- Persuade your child to gargle regularly with a warm solution of furatsilina, table salt or soda with a couple of drops of iodine, infusion of herbs( sage, mint, calendula, chamomile).
- Lubricate the throat of crumbs with solutions of "Iodinol" or "Lugol" 2-3 times a day, do not forget that after this procedure you can not eat and drink for two to three hours.
- If the body temperature of the baby is normal, then you can do with inhalation with broth of herbs, mineral water, physiological solution. In the absence of the child's allergies, add a couple of drops of essential oil of tea tree, eucalyptus or pine to the inhaler.
At the time of treating the hoarseness of the child's voice, parents should also follow the following recommendations:
- Eliminate food from the child's menu that irritates the mucous membrane of the throat-fried, sharp, sour dishes, dry bread.
- If possible, try to make sure that the child talks as little as possible and does not shout: take the crumb in quiet and quiet games, for example, read to him a book or put together puzzles with him.
- Every day, ventilate and do a wet cleaning in the room where the baby is, as dry and dusty air leads to irritation of the mucous throat.
If the hoarseness of the voice in a child is caused by some disease, then this manifestation will decrease as the treatment of this disease proceeds. Most often hoarseness of the baby's voice is a consequence of a viral infection or a cold, so doctors prescribe the following treatment to the children:
- irrigation of the mucous throat with bactericidal and bacteriostatic sprays( Ingalipt, Geksoral, Bioparox), but only for small patients over two years old;
- reception of antipyretic and anti-inflammatory drugs( "Panadol", "Nurofen") in the form of syrups at elevated body temperature;
- reception of bronchodilators with spasms of the airways;
- resorption of antiseptic lozenges and tablets( "Lisobakt", "Faringosept").
If, simultaneously with the treatment prescribed by the doctor, the activities described above are carried out to the child, then the hoarseness of his voice will pass faster.
Summing up the article, I want to say, parents are vigilant, the hoarse voice of a child is not always a harmless consequence of a long cry, it is also a symptom of a disease or a condition dangerous to a child's health and life. So do not ignore the fact that your crumb has a hoarse voice.