Blood from the ear is a very serious and often dangerous symptom that appears as a result of an injury or some kind of disease. In any case, remember that any discharge from the ear canal requires immediate medical attention.
Blood from the ear: causes
As already mentioned, ear bleeding can occur for completely different reasons. But do not forget that this is a very dangerous sign and self-treatment is inappropriate here. So why is the blood coming from the ear?
- Acute or purulent otitis is the most common cause. It is an inflammation of the middle ear, which is accompanied by an increase in body temperature and unbearable, shooting pain. This disease is accompanied by the release of pus with impurities of blood. If you have these symptoms, you should immediately contact LOR.
- Blood from the ear can appear as a result of fractures of the bones of the skull - in such cases, there is severe headache, partial loss of vision, as well as tissue edema, concussion, and sometimes nosebleeds. Remember that in the absence of medical care, fracture of the temporal bones can lead to complete hearing loss and even more serious problems.
- The rupture of the tympanic membrane is also accompanied by bleeding. As a rule, such a trauma is caused by penetration into the auditory canal of foreign objects. For example, children often harm themselves during the game, or by cleaning their ears with improvised, sharp objects. A rupture can also be caused by a sudden drop in pressure, for example, for divers with too fast diving or ascending.
- In some cases, the blood from the ear can be a symptom of all known fungal diseases called candidiasis. Of course, Candida fungi comparatively rarely affect the ear cavity, but, nevertheless, with a strong decrease in immunity, it is quite possible. The disease is accompanied by pain, itching in the ear canal, hearing loss and bloody discharge. For treatment use special, antifungal agents.
- Another reason is a furuncle, which results from the lesion of the hair bulb with golden staphylococci. By the way, such a disease also occurs when the immune system is weakened. As a rule, furuncle grows on the walls of the ear canal or in the immediate vicinity of the eardrum. The disease is accompanied by pain, swelling and reddening of the external tissues. After a few days the boil breaks, resulting in pus with bloody impurities.
- Sometimes, blood from the ear can be caused by damage to the outer tissues of the auricle and auditory canal. As a rule, wounds and scratches appear after penetration of a foreign, sharp object. This is the only time when you can do without medical assistance - you only need to treat damaged skin with an antiseptic solution. But if the trauma is accompanied by a strong, prolonged pain, you need to seek medical help - possibly, the eardrum is damaged.
Blood from the ear: what to do?
Actually, the blood from the ear can be a symptom of other problems - only the most common causes are listed above. For example, bleeding can be caused by the proliferation of polyps, the development of a malignant or benign tumor, etc. It is almost impossible to diagnose the disease by yourself, so be sure to consult an otolaryngologist. Only the doctor will be able to prescribe the right treatment.